Loading...

Friday, July 13, 2012

* Life-Sized Body Maps Mixed Media Craftivity

Last summer, the girls and I made these wonderful, 

They were such a big hit, 
I wanted to share the details with you again in case you missed it!
They are a great classroom, homeschool,
or just-because art activity.


We started by tracing an outline of each of the girls on big sheets
of brown contractors paper (available in the painting section of any hardware store.)
Then we looked at some anatomy books and talked about all of the different
things inside our bodies: skeleton, organs, muscles, veins, etc.


I set out a variety of materials for the kids to explore and use 
however they wanted to. 
We even invited a couple of friends over and made maps with them as well


Each of the kids had a blast using different materials to create their
own body map. 
Here you can see felt that was used as a heart and some organs.
Yarn for the circulatory system. 
Big bubble wrap for the lungs (with all of the air chambers)
Squiggly yarn for the spinal cord and masking tape for bones.


"E" used shell-shaped dry pasta as the teeth.
Cut up paper doilies for eyeballs and a nose. 
Yarn for a brain and spinal cord.


Q-tips were cut up to make tiny finger and toe bones.



"C" used felt for a brain. 
Dry pasta as eyes and teeth and added a bit of yarn for "hair."


She drew the organs on felt and asked me to cut them out for her.
She used colored masking tape for her intestines.



More Q-tip bones!


Just because it's summer doesn't mean you have to stop learning with your kids.
Happy learning and creating!

Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama


Here are a few favorites in our household!

12 comments:

Agnessbelle said...

Brilliant!!!! I'll borrow this idea :)

Lisa said...

I am going to do this with my son this year. Yours looks amazing! I love mixing science with art.

Crafty Homeschool Mama said...

Your "Anatomy of a Craft Project" video last year was my inspiration for a similar activity I did with my kindergartener.
We had SO much fun making our Body Map together as a final activty for our Human Body unit.
See it here: http://craftyhomeschoolmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/artistic-body-map.html
You are a CONSTANT source of ideas and inspiration for me and my kiddos--thank you!
~Joanna

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Thank you ladies!! We had a great time making these : )

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Joanna -- I love the map you made with your own kids -- the spinal cord made out of egg carton and the bladder balloon are my favorites!! The rib cage is awesome too -- thanks so much for sharing this with me!

Fondly,
MaryLea

Amy said...

I can't wait to do this with my kids! It combines 3 of their favorite things: collaging, human body science, and drawing outlines of themselves! Thanks for the great idea.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

That sounds great Amy, I hope you'll show and tell your photos of your project on my FB page!

The Mommy Teacher said...

This is such a great idea!! perfect for encouraging learning this summer.
Just posted on Craft Gossip!!

http://lessonplans.craftgossip.com/?p=6656

Crafty Homeschool Mama said...

Thank you, MaryLea.
I am pretty sure I enjoy it as much (and possibly more) than my kid do. :)
Thanks for inspiring us through your creativity. I am a recovering perfectionist and trying to do better with letting my kids take the reins when we do art together. :)

Lilyshaw said...

Brilliant idea, I'm going to try this with my son over the Summer Hols, thanks!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

MaryLea! this is SO awesome!!! There are so many neat elements about this!! LOVE this and pinning for future use! :)

Robyn... Pen Pals and Picture Books said...

This is absolutely fantastic! I love it, so creative- very cool!

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...